skip navigation

Men's Lacrosse Holds Own Against No. 17 Captains

Men's Lacrosse Holds Own Against No. 17 Captains

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Marymount men's lacrosse team grinded and held in tight against the 17th-ranked Christopher Newport Captains on Saturday at Long Bridge Park, taking the early lead and staying within striking distance for much of the game. However, CNU pulled out the 14-6 decision to take the Capital Athletic Conference matchup. 

The Saints came out with the early momentum, as junior Christian Lutz won the opening faceoff and senior John Williamson scooped the groundball. With the first offensive possession, MU capitalized when Williamson sent a quick pass to the left side where senior Nathan Beard rolled inside for the finish. 

The Captains (11-2, 4-1 CAC) used the next 11 minutes to build up a three-goal lead with four-straight goals before the Saints ended the first quarter with a finish of their own. Junior Sean Friedman took a rip on the right side on targets, but Captain keeper Scott McAneney got a stick on the ball to send it off to the front of the crease. Off the save, sophomore Michael Burns pulled in the high deflection for the quick finish for his first goal of the season. 

With a 4-2 advantage headed to the second, CNU added two more until Friedman went unassisted on his goal with 3:10 remaining in the half to get the Saints back within three at 6-3. Before the break, the Captains added one more to take a 7-3 lead into the break. 

The scoring went silent through the third quarter, and it was the Saints that broke that silence to open the fourth. In a man-up opportunity, Friedman dished off a pass to Burns for his second goal of the game. 

In an effort to slow the Saint comeback, CNU put away two more before freshman James O'Brien sent in his first collegiate goal with 10:35 remaining in the contest. 

Senior Brent Sulhoff and Beard connected for one more goal for the Saints, but the Captains added four more down the stretch to take the 14-6 decision. 

The Marymount defense was tough on its side of the field, causing 11 turnovers compared to the 10 by the Captains. Freshman Luke DeWitt, sophomore Christian Imbruglia, and junior Steve Ferrigno each caused two for the game while five others registered one. 

Junior Patrick Ruleman tended the net for the full 60 minutes, making 11 saves. 

The Saints head on the road for the final time this season, traveling to Wesley for another league tilt on Wednesday, April 11. Start time is set for 7 p.m., in Dover, Delaware.