skip navigation

Friedman's hat trick seals up Saints' season-opening victory over Monarchs

Friedman's hat trick seals up Saints' season-opening victory over Monarchs

ARLINGTON, Va. – Behind a four-point effort by junior Sean Friedman, including the game-winning finish, the Marymount men's lacrosse team shutdown Methodist University in the season opener on Saturday afternoon at Long Bridge Park, 7-6. 

Friedman posted a hat trick plus an assist, but his most important finish came with just 11 seconds remaining in the game to seal up the home victory for the Saints. Following a four-goal run by the Monarchs in the final six minutes, Marymount found itself all tied up with 32 seconds left in regulation. 

Junior Christian Lutz went down for his 15th faceoff of the game, going against Methodist's Luke Van Der Muelen. Snapping the ball out, Lutz was brought down by a Monarch coming in off the wing, who was sent to the penalty box for an illegal body check. 

Now a man-up opportunity with less than 30 seconds remaining and a tied game, the Saints found themselves at an advantage that they would exploit. Running through the offense, the ball made its way around the box to the left side where junior Matthew Ebert quickly sent a pass to Friedman who slid down past his defender toward the crease for the low right shot past the Monarch goalkeeper. 

Friedman had a great offensive day, putting away three of his four total shots, all of which were on target. 

All four of the other goals were scored by four different Saints: Ebert, senior Nathan Beard, junior Dylan Handel, and freshman Clark Akers for his first collegiate finish. 

At the faceoff, Lutz took all 16 attempts, winning a career-high 12. 

Gathering a majority of his groundballs for the day off his speed on the faceoff, senior John Williamson posted a career- and game-high seven for the day, while Beard, junior Dalton Smolens and junior goalkeeper Grey Clarkson each added four. 

Junior Hunter McGeeney, who finished in the top five in the league last season in caused turnovers, started his year strong with a game-high four. 

Clarkson earned the win in the goal, tending for the full 60 minutes and turning away 11 shots on target. 

The men remain at home next Wednesday, February 21, hosting Albright College for another non-conference matchup. First faceoff is slated for 7 p.m., at Long Bridge Park.