skip navigation

Saints fall to Tartans in non-conference play, 83-70.

Saints fall to Tartans in non-conference play, 83-70.

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Marymount University men's basketball team fell to Carnegie Mellon University, 83-70, on Saturday afternoon at the Converse Family Fieldhouse.

The teams traded baskets to open the game, with junior Steve Etienne scoring two layups for the Saints.

The Tartans claimed the lead, 11-8, but senior Ibrahim Kamara tallied a layup, before classmate Josh Giardina buried a three to give Marymount its first lead of the game, 13-11.

After Carnegie Mellon flipped the advantage in its favor, a dunk from sophomore Xavier Reaves regained the lead for Marymount, 15-14, before senior Ryan Albert extended the edge with a jumper.

The Tartans took the momentum with a 15-3 run, but Marymount responded with a 13-4 spurt to keep the game close late in the first half. Kamara and Reaves kicked things off with two layups.

Senior Taiga Walker followed with a three-point play to cut the deficit to 31-29. After a layup from Etienne, Walker nailed two free throws to tie the score, 33-33.

However, a 7-0 CMU run gave the Tartans a 40-33 lead at the break. Etienne was leading the Saints with eight points at halftime, while the Saints netted 20 points in the paint and 10 second-chance points.

Layups from Etienne and Kamara to start the second half cut the Carnegie Mellon lead to three, before Etienne added a three-point play to get the Saints to within two, 42-40.

However, a 10-2 run for the Tartans put the Saints in a double-digit hole. Carnegie Mellon continued to build its lead from there to take the game.

Kamara finished with 17 points to lead Marymount, while Etienne added 15 and senior LaDarius McCord netted 13. Kamara, also, led the team with seven rebounds, while Walker dished out four assists.

Marymount will return to action on Tuesday, November 26 against St. Mary's College of Maryland at the Converse Family Fieldhouse; the game is set for 8 p.m.