skip navigation

Men's basketball falls to Wilkes in first day of Pablo Coto Tip-Off Tournament

Men's basketball falls to Wilkes in first day of Pablo Coto Tip-Off Tournament

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Marymount University men's basketball team began the Pablo Coto Tip-Off Tournament on Saturday afternoon, falling to Wilkes University, 73-65, at the Converse Family Fieldhouse.

The Saints got in transition early, with a steal by senior Ryan Albert, leading to a layup from junior Steve Etienne on the game's first possession. The play began a 16-0 opening stretch for Marymount.

Senior Ibrahim Kamara and junior Bryce Gonsalves hit from long range, before sophomore Xavier Reaves put an exclamation point on the opening run with a dunk.

The Colonels cut into Marymount's lead, 20-13, but the Saints continued to hold strong with back-to-back layups from Albert and Etienne. They got the lead back to double-digits, 32-22, on a three from Albert with 5:34 left in the first half.

However, Wilkes responded with a 12-3 run to end the first half and cut the Saints lead to 35-34 at halftime.

Albert led the way for the Saints at halftime with seven points, while Etienne pulled down five rebounds. The Saints shot over 46 percent from the floor in the period and converted 10 fastbreak points.

Pairs of free throws from senior Taiga Walker, Albert, and Etienne kept the Saints ahead to start the second half, before Etienne scored a layup to bring the score to 43-37. However, the Colonels came back with a 15-2 run to take a, 52-45, lead and force a Marymount timeout.

Wilkes built its lead to double-digits, 62-51, with 7:51 to play, but a three from Reaves and two foul shots from Kamara cut the Saints' deficit to six.

The Colonels again got their advantage to 11, this time with 3:58 left on the clock, but the Saints were not done fighting.

Layups from seniors Josh Giardina and LaDarius McCord sandwiched another Reaves' three, before Kamara converted two-more foul shots to get the Wilkes lead down to four, 69-65, with only 59 seconds left to play.

However, the comeback effort was not enough, as the Colonels closed the win with four foul shots to end the game.

Albert and Reaves both finished with 11 points to lead the team. Etienne, also, hit double-figures with 10 points, while adding 10 rebounds for a double-double.

The Saints will continue the Pablo Coto Tournament on Sunday, November 17 in the tournament consolation game against the loser of Saturday's second matchup between Bridgewater (Va.) College and Montclair State University. The consolation game is set for 12 p.m., on Sunday.